- Hitler becomes Fόhrer when chancellorship and presidency are united.
- Federal Communications Commission is established to regulate communications.
- Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker ambushed by lawmen in Louisiana.
- Dust storms ruin about 100 million acres and damage another 200 million acres of cropland in Kansas, Texas, Colorado, and Oklahoma ("Dust Bowl").
- It Happened One Night sweeps the Academy Awards, winning Best Picture, Director, Actor, and Actress.
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is established.
Historical Highlights from 1934