- Regular television broadcasts began in the United States.
- Judy Garland sings Over The Rainbow from the film "Wizard Of Oz".
- "Gone With The Wind" starring Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable wins Best Picture at the Academy Awards.
- Famous Births ... Hunter S. Thompson, John Cleese, Francis Ford Coppola.
- Deaths ... William Butler Yeats, Sigmund Freud, Pope Pius X.
- The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum is dedicated in Cooperstown, New York.
- Federal spending was $9.14 billion.
- Earthquake in Chile kills 30,000. Continuing drought conditions in the North Eastern US cause mass crop failure and hardship
- World War II begins.
- Hewlett Packard is formed.
Historical Highlights of 1939 ...
Scroll down to see 1939 LOOK Magazines for sale