Life Magazine – September 29, 1887 (# 248) – Four-in-hand
Cover – Daughter recommending book to mother, English as she is spoke, art by Stephen Van Schaick.
– Artists and cartoonists include F. G. Attwood (full page), A. Brennan, Albert E. Sterner, Charles Dana Gibson, Chip, and others
– Two page center spread art by Gray-Parker, With a Four-in-hand, horses and carriage.
– Current topics include Mr. Barnum tells how to get rich, Mowing Philadelphia’s streets, Duke of Marlborough and more.
– Great lines in the “getting rich” commentary, including “If a man has the virus of a great fortune in him – and – distended pockets which it is a work of mercy and benevolence to ease”
– Overheard in Westminster Abbey.
– Mr. Carroll Wilton’s ordeal, chapter I.
– Sport, the America’s cup with Volunteer, Thistle, Mayflower, Arrow.
– Have you used Packer’s tar soap for shampooing?, It’s immense!
– Larger text ad for Campobello Island, Boston, Massachusetts.
– Half page Pears’ Soap ad, quoting three ladies.
– And more.