Life Magazine – September 22, 1910 (# 1456) – Furbelow Number
Cover : Extremely charming scene of contemplative young lady sitting at her desk and writing answers to her various suitors, “Dear or Dearest?,” fade-out art by C. Coles Phillips.
– FURBELOW NUMBER (furbelow = garment ruffle or flounce, ornamentation).
– Full page ads for Anderson Carriage Company (Detroit Electric cars), Locomobile (with photo of seven people in an open car), Life magazine ad pertaining to contest for Automobile Advertisers, Goodyear Welt shoes (with silhouette of Achilles being dipped in the River Styx), Woodbury’s Facial soap (Jergens), Success Magazine, American Motorist magazine.
– Lovely full page color ad for Baker Electrics cars with art of fancy couple walking away from their car, artist initials may be RJC, SJC, possibly Campbell.
– Two page centerspread art by William Balfour-Ker, “The Upper Crust,” rich folks being held up on a thin layer by working men’s hands.
– Some current events include : The entertaining speeches of Colonel Roosevelt, Ossawotomie speech, New Nationalism.
– VERY funny column “Life’s infallible fortune teller”, for example … if you were born on September 22 “Your future husband will be a connoisseur of lager beer. As you detest it, you will never be at a loss for something to talk to him about.”
– And much, much more.