6 rolls bread - 5’
1 lb. fish - 8’
15 potatoes - 10’
3 lb. Oatmeal - 10’
6 eggs - 13’
2 lbs. chops or a steak - 20’
- Wilhelm Roentgen discovers X-rays.
- Utah is admitted as the 45th U.S. state.
- Fannie Farmer published her first cookbook.
- Dracula, a novel by Bram Stoker, is published.
- Mark Twain, responding to rumors that he is dead, is quoted as saying, "The report of my death was an exaggeration."
- The Klondike Gold Rush begins when the first successful prospectors arrive in Seattle.
- Bayer first produces Aspirin.
- New York City is geographically divided into five boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, and Staten Island.
- The Spanish-American War lasts for ten weeks.
- Rockefeller's Standard Oil Company controls 84% of the USA's oil and most American pipelines.